Too long since I have last updated this blog. Turns out working at a startup eats most of your time… On top of being with my head down learning a pushing work with Satellite images, I have been quite busy with long runs, trips far away, the UN, the World Economic Forum, Yale, … I don´t know where is the limit, but I know where it is not ;)
Lately I have been asked about how do I manage my Calendars. My system is far from ideal, but turns out to be much better than what many people seem to use.
- I want to have separate calendars for personal stuff and work stuff.
- I don´t want my coworkers to see my personal details but I want to let them know I´ll be busy.
- I want to let someone else manage my work calendar if needed.
- I want to have an updated calendar across all my devices. That also means to see/edit/add events using the Cal App on my Mac or my phones (Android and iPhone).
Tools: Google Calendar for personal use, using Google Apps at work.
TL;DR: Make a work calendar and a personal calendar. Share your personal calendar with your work colleagues as “free/busy”. Share work calendar with your personal email with full access so you can transfer event between calendars.
One day, I will not be lucky, fit and crazy enough to do a triathlon. That day was not today. I did the Nation´s triathlon which is an Olympic tri: 1.5 km swimming, 40 Km on the bike and 10 Km running.
I´ve joined MapBox as Chief Scientist! This is a long coming love story, possible thanks to my recent extraordinary visa. An amazing next stop on my journey to bridge Science and Technology with Society at large. I am very excited to join this awesome team.
Think of MapBox as a mix of Wikipedia for maps (leveraging the power of open data and crowds) and Apple style to master a product that is beautiful, fast and breaks beyond convention. Faster, better, open maps for anything that has a location.
Opening the geo space… What is MapBox doing?
- A cloudless Satellite map of the whole world.
- Maps provider for Github, Foursquare, Financial Time, Le Monde, USA Today, … See Showcase
- Street level satellite image fresh from space (this was my first blog post, on my first week here) .
- Monitoring deforestation in the Amazonas.
- Map of Mars.
- TileMill, a free app to style your map data.
- An incredibly huge code repository, and guidelines to process your data using only open source software (e.g.). …
A real garage start-up… Well, a garage with glass doors that we open on summer days, couches, fossball, free food and drinks, computers hanging on the walls, a bar space, bike rack, meeting rooms that actually are hanging out rooms since there are virtually no meetings …
MapBox, let´s dance.
Can I use this as a pick up line?